6Ps - Inspiration

"
"The places that I never see are places where I long to be a new location beneath my feet makes life o so sweet.

Sunday 8 January 2012

Cronulla ? Well what is it?

Today I am back home in Crescent Head after a couple of months in Sydney and the NSW south coast filming and surviving.

I have had good feedback on this site and am aware that not everyone has easy access to the films I publish. However, I encourage you to persist as the movies are the basic instruments of communication for me. (or click on my You tube site at the right of this page)

Ladies


Aren't they beautiful? I think they are, and I miss their perspective on life in general let alone this site. Having observed the responses to this site from feeding sources it is with regret that less then 10% are of the female variety. I have deliberately embedded feed sites on the right of the page to accommodate some things that are uniquely for the finer sex. One such example is "EAT READ LOVE" which I highly recommend.
This year I will do my best to increase female participation by including some things that may retain the balance.
For example:
Fashion


How to identify the perfect Male



Relationship advice




Jeez I bet you will look forward to that if the photos above are an  indication......................


Cronulla-what is it?

Having returned to Cronulla while on my sojourn I became rather sentimental about the old hunting ground (although Garie was my place for surfing).

It easy to do the old guy thing and start talking about what is was like in the 60's 70's 80's and 90's and that in a way would be bloody fruitless. People say that about Crescent Head and I glaze over, not to mention think..........well its today not yesterday.

So with this in mind, I have divided my thoughts into the Cronulla "vibe" and the surf.

If you landed from Mars I guess you would think it is a high rise coastal city with great cafes and a cosmopolitan atmosphere. The people seem to all know each other and the train still arrives with strangers using all the facilities and beaches available. When I say strangers I mean people who don't live in the area but love the place anyway. Some local people are mad as are some of the strangers...........by mad I mean destructive.

For those who surf, the eyes are always pointed toward the ocean observing the Alley, the Point, the Wall, Eloura, Wanda, Greenhills, Sandshoes or for those with guts the Island. The locals also watch out for Voodoo and Ours. So these people really don't "feel" the cosmopolitan vibe. Having said that a number of them feel the vibe of the various drinking establishments dotted throughout Cronulla after their touch with nature.

Nothing much has changed in Cronulla for these people :

These people only see the landmarks and have eyes trained toward the swell.

Then they party at the landmarks: ( and view the old building across the road - The Masonic Lodge which has been a part of Cronulla since time began)

The old and the new mix without any fuss or worry as do those who have a passion for the Cronulla lifestyle.

If you over 15 years of age, the focus is on that Cronulla Icon "Northies". For those people who don't continually have their eyes trained on the surf and tend to be dedicated to fashion then Northies is the pinnacle of becoming an adult (adult is defined as between the ages of 15 and 30 and those who think they are 30...... The exception is the sportsmans bar on a Saturday afternoon before 6pm).

There always seems to be discussion on the the Old Northies and the New Northies. In the interests of not going down memory lane, lets just leave it like this:

Northies:


An expensive drinking establishment run by cocain (alleged) filled security. A place to be seen in your standard latest surf tee shirt or for the females dressed as if they are all Paris Hilton on steroids and who, similar to Paris Hilton, spend enough money there to own a Hotel chain as does or did the Hiltons.

A cold place where the sun doesn't shine - seems to be a description similar to a part of the anatomy really.

Now lets not get negative about this place, so here are the positive sides:

???????

Moving on. Cronulla is a mixture of old and new in every way and always has been. Buildings continue to be levelled and new ones are built to accommodate those who have a lazy 3 or 4 million dollars. This is fact and observation not meant in any way to be negative.

I guess what this does mean is the demographics will change more than ever and thats a pity because the people who have their eyes trained on the ocean for pure reasons will find it more difficult to live there. That is one huge change from the history of this seaside surf location.

As for the cafes, the restaurants (including the new "Library"--wow great food but I'm still paying it off) the shops, and assorted retail establishments, well........best left to those who could do a much better job of reviewing them than I could.

The signs telling you what to do and what not to do are getting to epidemic proportions, the litter still gets left behind and I still can't walk down the Mall past 10 o'clock at night for fear of being beaten to a pulp by some pissed or iced maniac who thinks blood is some form of red wine.


But for those with their eyes trained on the ocean, it is of little consequence.

There is nothing in Cronulla that is not similar to most coastal cities/towns. The list is pretty long really:
The Gold Coast
Byron Bay
Manly
Ulladulla
etc

Well Cronulla? what is it?

Its a place that has kept pace with change be it good or bad. It is home to a lot of people. It is a surf location offering a lot of breaks. Its owned mostly by the council. The surf is owned by the locals (as all are). Northies is owned by Security. The Mall is owned by death cage fighters after dark. It is a beautiful bay area. It is close to Sydney, therefore, affords a great location to go to work from.

So there we have it, was my tongue in cheek? Were my observations made with prejudice eyes? or was this a balanced but judgemental load of garbage?

At the end of this rather raving assessment it is good to know that you can remove yourself from things that don't suit you or stay and enjoy ,or like me, visit and get my "fill" and enjoyment in small bursts.

But I still go back which must say something.....................

Aloha

No comments:

Post a Comment